Sunday 28 May 2017

Keeping everyone happy is not my priority, says Chelsea chief Conte

Friday 17 February 2017

Keeping everyone happy is not my priority, says Chelsea chief Conte

He insisted that Costa’s future will be addressed at the end of the season.

Chelsea head coach Antonio Conte will continue to prioritise a winning team over the happiness of individuals, including Diego Costa and captain John Terry.

Conte on Friday spoke of optimism that Costa will stay at Chelsea, but insisted the striker’s future will be addressed at the end of the season.

Another possible summer departure after more than 18 years in the Chelsea first team is Terry, who is expected to feature in the FA Cup at Wolves on Saturday.

Terry has had no complaints at being absent as Chelsea have marched to an eight-point lead at the top of the Premier League, while Cesc Fabregas’ impact has often come as a substitute.

And Conte is content that his fringe personnel are frustrated and eager to feature more.

“The most important thing, the target, is to win, not to try to have 21 players happy,” Conte said.

“I want to be happy, but I’m happy if we win. Not if we lose and have 21 players happy.”

Conte insists he treats all of his players the same, whether they start every game or are more peripheral. That is imperative to foster a good group, he says.

“I want to give them great respect, because I demand this,” he added.

“I think that’s the right way to have a good dressing room.

“Believe me it’s not easy to have these types of players, this type of group.

“I think we’re growing a lot in these seven months in all these aspects.”

He is adamant disgruntled players can always approach him to seek an explanation.

“If the player wants to ask me, the player knows very well that my door is always open,” he added.

Costa, Chelsea’s top scorer with 15 goals this term, has impressed Conte.

But last month the former Atletico Madrid striker, who moved to Chelsea in 2014, was linked with a mega-money move to the Chinese Super League.

Speculation soon subsided and more recent reports have suggested Costa is nearing an extension to his Chelsea contract, which has two years to run come the summer.

“I don’t know about this situation,” Conte added.

He was then asked if he was confident Costa would be staying.

He added: “Yes, I’m confident. I repeat: now it’s important to keep the great concentration for the present.

“The present is tomorrow’s game against Wolverhampton. We must go in the next round.”

One striker who is nearing a Chelsea exit is Dominic Solanke. The 19-year-old has reportedly demanded £50,000 a week in wages.

“I think this is his will (to leave),” Conte added.

Chelsea are seeking to reach the FA Cup quarter-final for the 11th time in 16 seasons. They have won the cup four times since 2005-06, including in 2010 when Carlo Ancelotti’s side also won the league.

The double is a target for Conte.

“We must have this winning mentality,” he added.

“Tomorrow the game won’t be easy. Don’t forget Wolverhampton won against Liverpool away, won against Stoke away.

“I hope tomorrow the result will be different and Chelsea to go in the next round.”

David Luiz will be rested after playing while managing a knee injury sustained in December in a tackle which saw Sergio Aguero sent off for Manchester City. Terry could take his place in the centre of defence.

Marcos Alonso will also be rested and his place at left wing-back could go to Nathan Ake or Kenedy.

But with no midweek game next week, Conte is unlikely to make wholesale changes, so the likes of Costa and Eden Hazard could feature at Molineux.

Comments

Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

There are no comments for this article.

To place a comment please login