Management and Systems Accountant
Full DescriptionReporting to: Financial Controller
Jersey Water’s people strategy is focused around providing a great place to work. We achieve this by ensuring we have high calibre, happy and engaged employees who work in a safe environment and are supported to experience new challenges and fulfil their potential.
Our people are crucial to the success of Jersey Water and, as such, we invest heavily in activities that support employee engagement and wellbeing. Our generous benefits package is focused on good mental and physical health and our people’s feedback is the starting point in creating our People Strategy. Team participation and feedback flows through each of Jersey Water’s initiatives, with many people getting involved in projects outside of their own departments. Cross team collaboration is at the heart of everything we do.Jersey Water is mid-way through a change programme which has included the implementation of an upgrading accounting package and integrated asset management system. The role of the Management and Systems Accountant is a combination a traditional management accountant role and a system accounting role. The management and systems accountant will play a key part in developing and / or updating current reporting processes to ensure that management information is being presented in the most effective manner possible. The role will also provide additional assistance to the finance team in ensuring that the month end and year end processes are completed in an efficient and timely manner ensuring the accuracy and completeness to the highest standard.
Candidates will also need to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Numerate, methodical, organised, and practical with sound commercial judgement, financial acumen, and a proactive approach.
- A fully qualified Chartered or Certified Accountant ideally with relevant commercial experience or recently qualified and looking to move away from practice.
- A sound knowledge and understanding of accounting standards, taxation, and regulatory matters relevant to the business needs of the Company is required.
- Excellent information technology skills including advanced Excel. Having a good understanding of MS365, databases, data uploads, extraction and interfaces with other systems would also be desirable.
- Ability to interpret data, and analyse results using statistical techniques. Developing and implementing data analyses, data collection systems and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality.
- An interest in effective project and change management process and governance.
Closing Date: Monday 26th July
- Develop and maintain new financial reports and dashboards ensuring that key financial information is delivered throughout the business on timely basis.
- Take a lead role in the implementation of new budgeting and management information software.
- Reviewing systems performance, identifying, and rectifying systems issues as and when necessary.
- Ensuring processes are up to date, efficient and well documented.
- Assist with the design, implementation, and monitoring of an internal controls system.
- Assist with the identification, implementation, and delivery of system optimisation projects within the department, with particular focus on financial and management reporting.
- Assist with the preparation of regular management and financial information that meets the varying needs of the business, management and the Board and undertake variance analysis on results at a corporate level and for functional departments. Monitoring performance against budgets and targets and analysing and identifying reasons for variances.
- Assist in the preparation of the financial statements of the Company including all statutory, corporate governance and regulatory disclosures.
- Liaison with internal and external auditors and Company advisors where appropriate and the preparation and provision of information necessary for their work.
- Assist with the preparation of regular capital expenditure reporting to senior management and functional departments.
- Support the other management accountants in the capitalisation process for all capital works projects.
- Maintain the positive working relationships with other departments, in particular ensuring that the new systems and processes continue to deliver department wide benefits and efficiencies.
- Provide ad hoc financial information to other departments as and when required.
- Keep abreast of developments that affect the financial aspects of the business, such as regulatory and accounting standards and requirements and maintain an up-to-date knowledge of events in the UK water industry.
- To actively partake in inter departmental and wider company group initiatives to promote team working to ensure continuous improvement is demonstrated.
- To understand and live the Company Values of ‘We Care’, ‘We Are Ambitious’ and ‘We Work Together’, being able to demonstrate alignment to them as part of the performance review process.
For more information please visit https://www.jerseywater.je/careers/apply-online/.
« Return to Adverts