What social custom needs to be retired?
This question posed to Reddit by user ruj00 has proved hugely popular, with tens of thousands of responses covering a broad variety of bizarre human interactions.
Here are 12 of the responses which people agreed with the most. Do you agree with them?
1. Extremely expensive engagement rings – EveryDayRay
2. Coming to work ill as a sign of dedication – NameLessTaken
3. Making your kids hug/kiss people they aren’t comfortable with. – BirdCop
4. The need to provide an excuse when turning down an invitation. It’s hard to say “No, thank you,” without following it up with a reason. – Scrappy_Larue
5. Opening gifts in front of the gifter. – TheLurkerSpeaks
6. Not discussing your wages/salary with co-workers. The only reason this custom exists is to keep people getting screwed from knowing they’re being screwed. – ZeusHatesTrees
7. People not getting that sometimes you want some alone time and there is nothing wrong with that. – TheSameButBetter
8. Elbows off the table. It’s just soooo comfy. – HadHerses
9. Extravagant weddings. – obxtalldude
10. The view that men should always pay on first dates. As a woman, it not only makes me feel super uncomfortable but if you’ve both agreed to go on a date, I don’t see why you wouldn’t just want to split the bill. – beeeelist
11. We should switch handshakes to fist bumps to hinder the spread of infections. – skeletorch
12. Men not being able to wear shorts in the workplace. – npanetta