Wednesday 07 December 2022
Select a region

Man 'suffered cracked skull after punch', jury hears

Man 'suffered cracked skull after punch', jury hears

Tuesday 04 October 2022

Man 'suffered cracked skull after punch', jury hears

Tuesday 04 October 2022

The trial of a 23-year-old accused of punch that led the alleged victim to suffer a cracked skull needing treatment in Southampton Hospital and unable to drive or work for months has begun.

Magno Raimundo Gaspar Reis, from Madeira, denies one count of grave and criminal assault at Minden Place last September.

Crown Advocate Lauren Hallam, prosecuting, told the jury in the Royal Court yesterday that Mr Reis claims he "does not remember" encountering the alleged victim.

Later appearing in court to give evidence, the alleged victim said that he had been walking back to a friend's house after a night out drinking in town when he came across a colleague who he played football with standing outside the car park.

He said that his friend pointed out a nearby group of five or six men who "were looking for a fight".

While he did not know any of them, the alleged victim approached the group to tell them it was not worth it before beginning to walk away with his two friends.

The next thing he remembered, he claimed, was waking up in hospital "confused, shocked, light-headed and with blurred vision".

He was discharged later that afternoon, and went home where he slept continually but woke up multiple times to be sick.

When he got up for work the next morning, he recalled being off-balance and called an ambulance, which took him back to hospital.

He was then flown to Southampton Hospital, where he was kept for 10 days and was given medication and underwent tests.

southampton hospital

Pictured: The alleged victim required treatment in Southampton.

The alleged victim told the jury that the injuries he suffered resulted in him being signed off from work for three months, unable to drive for six months and unable to play football for a year.

He told the court that he still suffered from fatigue, headaches and pins and needles down the left side of his body.

The trial, presided by the Deputy Bailiff, continues.

Sign up to newsletter



Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.

Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

There are no comments for this article.

To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?