Sunday 14 April 2024
Select a region
News

Nearly £150k in lottery prizes unclaimed in 2022

Nearly £150k in lottery prizes unclaimed in 2022

Tuesday 06 February 2024

Nearly £150k in lottery prizes unclaimed in 2022

Tuesday 06 February 2024


Nearly £150,000 was donated to charity last year after islanders failed to claim their winnings from the 2022 Channel Islands Christmas Draw and other games.

Organisers of the lottery hold onto unclaimed winnings for 53 weeks before distributing them to charities across the Channel Islands.

A recent request made under the Freedom of Information Law showed that a total of £144,300 went unclaimed in 2022.

The response also revealed that 41.94% of all sales were made in Jersey that year, with the remaining 58.06% in other Channel Islands.

Islanders who purchased winning tickets for the most recent Christmas 2023 lottery have until 13 December 2024 to claim their prize money.

The most recent Christmas 2023 lottery marked the sixth year in a row that the winning ticket was sold in Guernsey.

The £500,000 prize went to a syndicate of 40 women, who each took home £12,500.

However, a total of 42 of the 67 drawn prizes – around three in five – were won in Jersey, including the second place prize of £50,000 and three of the five £10,000 prizes.

A recent report by Public Health officials in Guernsey showed that the island's residents bought more scratchcards than in Jersey, and that some under-18s had been illegally participating in the Christmas lottery.

READ MORE...

Under-18s illegally gambling during Christmas Lottery

Petition launched to separate Jersey and Guernsey Christmas lotteries

RESULTS: Who has won big in the Channel Islands Christmas Lottery?

EXPRESS POLL RESULTS: £1 a go a popular choice for Christmas Lottery

Sign up to newsletter

 

Comments

Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?