A 40-year-old professional cake-maker has admitted falsely claiming almost £150,000 of Income Support over seven-and-a-half years by claiming she was a single parent when she was, in reality, living with her husband.
Rebecca Anne Galluzzi pleaded guilty in the Royal Court on Friday to giving false details to the Government’s Income Support team between March 2012 and October 2019, while living at three properties in St. Helier.
Between that time, she claimed £148,999 worth of benefits on the basis that she was a single parent of three children. However, she was married throughout that period and her husband was living with her and contributing financially to the household.
Crown Advocate Richard Pedley told the Court that there was clear evidence linking her husband to the same address as his wife, including official documents, bills and online orders.
Making a bail application after entering guilty pleas on behalf of her client, Advocate Estelle Burns said that a custodial sentence was not inevitable and Galluzzi had pledged to repay the money owed.
She had been unable to work for some time due to medical reasons but was now working full-time at home on her cake-making business, Advocate Burns added.
Commissioner Julian Clyde-Smith, who was sitting with Jurats Jane Ronge and Elizabeth Dulake, refused the application and remanded Galluzzi in custody until 17 September, when she will be sentenced by the Superior Number of the Royal Court, which deals with the most serious offences.
Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.
Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.
There are no comments for this article.