Tuesday 21 September 2021
Select a region
News

Family evacuated from home after fire in kitchen

Family evacuated from home after fire in kitchen

Friday 13 May 2016

Family evacuated from home after fire in kitchen


A family had to flee their house with their young baby after a fire that started with a faulty dishwasher broke out in their kitchen.

The Jersey Fire and Rescue Service were called out at 8.19 pm to a property in St Saviour – they sent two fire engines and nine firefighters to the scene.

The ground floor of the semi-detached property was heavily smoke-logged when they arrived, and they had to use breathing apparatus, a carbon dioxide extinguisher and a high pressure hose reel to put out the blaze.

They managed to contain the fire damage to the kitchen, but said that there was some smoke damage to the rest of the house.

Watch Commander Richard Ryan said that the family had done the right thing by calling the fire service and getting out of the property.

He said: “All the family including a young baby are safe and well thanks to the parent’s actions. They got out, called the fire service out and stayed out.”

 

Pic credit: Jersey Fire and Rescue Service

Sign up to newsletter

 

Comments

Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.

Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

There are no comments for this article.

To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?