Wednesday 20 October 2021
Select a region
News

Gov plans to take on £75m Bellozanne project after contractor collapse

Gov plans to take on £75m Bellozanne project after contractor collapse

Wednesday 13 October 2021

Gov plans to take on £75m Bellozanne project after contractor collapse


The Government has confirmed it is planning to take control of the £75m sewage treatment works upgrade after the main contractor’s collapse.

NMCN fell into administration last Monday after struggling financially for more than a year and all activity on the Bellozanne site ceased that day, leaving local contractors concerned that up to £200,000 of their money could be lost.

Galliford Try then bought NMCN’s water arm in a £1m deal last week, leading to questions over whether it would take on the project. 

But Infrastructure Minister Deputy Kevin Lewis confirmed today that his department’s contract with NMCN was officially “terminated” yesterday, and that the Government would be taking the “necessary steps” to become “principal contractor” following discussions about the project’s future with advisors and stakeholders. 

He added that his department remained “committed” to ensuring the “vital infrastructure asset” is completed “within expected budgets, quality, and timescales”. 

Discussions with subcontractors will be taking place this week and next, with an announcement on the next steps to follow later in the week, Express understands. 

The project to upgrade the island’s 62-year-old waste water processing facility began in November 2018, with an original end date of 2022. When it emerged over summer that the project had fallen behind to October 2023, the Government gave the project a £1.5m boost to prevent further slippage.

However, just a fortnight ago, the Environment Minister said the end date was now in 2024. 

Follow Express for updates…

READ MORE...

£75m Bellozanne project contractor collapses

Gov “assessing legal position” after £75m Bellozanne contractor fails

Chief Minister put under pressure over £75m Bellozanne contractor’s demise

GALLERY: All quiet on the Bellozanne front...

Collapsed Bellozanne contractor's water arm sold off for £1m

Sign up to newsletter

 

Comments

Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.

Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

Posted by SimonBevens28 on
Good news that the government are going to become the principal contractor. As we all know, they have an excellent record of finishing projects on time and to budget with minimal fuss.
Oh wait....
Posted by Private Individual on
This government is a joke.
Posted by captain sensible on
Looks like the Circus has decamped from Bellozanne, now it is time to send in the Clowns and finish the performance. And we are told this will all come in on budget, which means one of two things. Either the budget was fancifully too high in the first place. Or we will run into some unexpected problems and it will cost another £10 or £20 million.
Go buy a lottery ticket to decide the outcome.
Posted by Lesley Ricketts on
Oh please give us a break. What next in the long line of overspends and overruns?
To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?