Sunday 25 October 2020
Select a region

Government ‘cautious’ after four test positive at same venue

Government ‘cautious’ after four test positive at same venue

Tuesday 29 September 2020

Government ‘cautious’ after four test positive at same venue


The Government says it is responding ‘cautiously’ to four individuals testing positive for covid after visiting the same venue - but doesn't yet believe it provides evidence of the virus moving within the community.

Yesterday it was announced that two household members of one of the new cases have now also tested positive.

The Government said that “all the evidence is that this is a mixture of cases – some arrivals, some essentially household cases.”

Community transmission, meanwhile, refers to cases where the source of infection cannot be identified. 

The Government’s contact tracing team is now contacting individuals who visited the same venue as the four and arranging tests “where appropriate." The name is the venue is not being released. 

iphone-technology-iphone-6-plus-apple-17663.jpg

Pictured: The contact tracing team are in the process of contacting people that visited the same venue.

“Officials are contact-tracing more widely in keeping with a cautious response to any covid activity,” the spokesperson added.

According to a statement released last night, the four visited the unnamed venue on 16 and 17 September. Two visited at the same time and another two visited “separately and at different times”.

Two of the four that had visited the venue had arrived from London on separate flights.  After being informed that their border test had returned a positive result, they went into isolation where they will remain until their 14-day quarantine period expires.

All their direct contacts have tested negative.

The third individual was identified once they had returned to the UK after visiting family in Jersey. The fourth case was an individual this person had been staying with in Jersey. Two more individuals within that household have now tested positive.

The Deputy Medical Officer of Health, Dr Ivan Muscat, said: “This shows our test and tracing works. We have systems in place to identify contacts of people who test positive, and these cases demonstrate that we can respond quickly to minimise the risk of further cases."

-20200706Muscat_007.jpg

Pictured: Dr Muscat said the recent cases being picked up showed the effectiveness of the test and trace system.

He continued: “The venue visited by the four people has an excellent contact-tracing system in place and was able to share all required information at speed. This is as a timely reminder of the importance of all Jersey venues collecting accurate data on every customer, and of individuals cooperating with the authorities when asked to self-isolate as a direct contact of a positive case.”

Sign up to newsletter

 

Comments

Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.

Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

Posted by Guy de Faye on
It would seem that the Deputy MOH does not have a full grasp of the procedures in place - or not in place - to protect Islanders from the highly infectious and potentially deadly Covid 19 virus. Test and tracing may work, but there seems to be a big gap in appropriate quarantine measures. 

Two of the reported positive Covid 19 cases had flown in from London and must have visited "the venue" between their arrival and receiving the positive results of their Covid tests, presumably delivered within 24 hours of offering saliva samples at the Airport Testing Centre. 

This episode reveals a serious gap in protection measures for the local community that results from the "voluntary quarantine" requested to be undertaken following the taking of a Covid test.Visiting a local venue is NOT "voluntary quarantine" and this incident strongly implies that the shortened quarantine that follows "testing on port entry" MUST be compulsory, subject to rigorous penalties.

Government of Jersey top decision makers decided to tackle a deadly pandemic by handing out information leaflets! It later emerged that no tests were carried out on incoming passengers at the Airport for some 30 days. Now we discover that quarantine measures are ineffective.

The "holiday season" is over, so it's time to get tough on entry processes, allowing local people to better enjoy Jersey's pubs and restaurants over the winter.

Government of Jersey must cut out its self congratulatory posturing and understand that it has completely bungled protecting Jersey from the Covid 19 pandemic, so far with an accompanying bill of over £200 Million. The bungling clearly continues. Who is accountable for this ongoing catastrophe??
Posted by Paul Maguire on
This is all wrong. Everyone should be told at either the airport or harbour to self isolate until they have received their first, hopefully negative test and all establishments should ask guests if they have just arrived in the Island and if so have they had a negative test. The ignorance of a few means inconvenience and possibly 2 weeks isolation for others !!
Posted by Jon Jon on
Was going to start ,only thing though they need to be more open with the public,name the premises for example,and if anyone is coming into the island they self isolate until their negative test is received.Wait till uni kids come back!
To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?