Saturday 10 December 2022
Select a region

Royal Court murder trial hears claims accused admitted the killing

Royal Court murder trial hears claims accused admitted the killing

Wednesday 27 April 2022

Royal Court murder trial hears claims accused admitted the killing

Wednesday 27 April 2022

The trial of a 52-year-old man accused of murdering a woman, and attempting to murder another, 32 years ago has begun in the Royal Court.

The trial opened on Monday, with Ricky Michael Tregaskis appearing before Commissioner Sir John Saunders, and a jury of 14 islanders.

He is pleading not guilty to the murder of Barbara Mary Griffin on 2 August 1990, in St. Saviour, and the attempted murder of Emma Maria Elvina Anton on the same date. 

Opening the prosecution's case yesterday, Solicitor General Matthew Jowitt told the Court that Mr Tregaskis climbed through a window on the ground floor of Ms Griffin's flat, before stabbing Ms Anton five or six times in what was described as a "frenzied attack". He was then alleged to have stabbed Barbara Griffin, inflicting a fatal wound to the heart. She made a 999 call shortly before she collapsed, with the prosecution stating "she never spoke again."

Yesterday, the Jury were introduced to the first witness, Marie Dean. 

She told the Royal Court that Mr Tregaskis had purchased a “Hitler Youth-type knife with a swastika on it” the afternoon prior to the murder. He was said to have asked Ms Dean for her scanner, which was able to tune into police radios.

Ms Dean told the court that Mr Tregasksis had asked her if she wanted to join him committing burglaries as he needed some money, but she declined. "My life was on track then really,” she said. She said Mr Tregaskis later admitted the killing to her. 

Advocate Rebecca Morley-Kirk, defending, addressed the first witness in cross-examination and informed the jury that Ms Dean had given the police multiple statements.

She said Ms Dean had not initially mentioned that Mr Tregaskis had purchased a knife, nor did she mention that the defendant had admitted to committing murder.

She also highlighted Ms Dean's own criminal record, with around 13 crimes dating from the 1980s to 1998, including theft, burglary and shoplifting.

The trial continues today, and is expected to last up to three weeks. 

Sign up to newsletter



Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.

Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

There are no comments for this article.

To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?