Monday 20 March 2023
Select a region

Town flat ablaze last night  

Town flat ablaze last night  

Wednesday 12 October 2016

Town flat ablaze last night  

Wednesday 12 October 2016

Firefighters were called out to a town flat under renovation last night after a fire broke out due to a faulty electrical lamp.  

At 18:12 they got a call saying a second floor flat in a property under renovation was on fire and smoke was beginning to fill the whole building.

The fire crews were met at the scene by a worker from a nearby garage who had tried to tackle the blaze.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the affected property and quickly extinguished the fire using a water jet, before a ventilation fan was used to clear the building of smoke.

Firefighters remained on scene for over an hour cutting away and exposing timbers involved to ensure that it had not spread to hidden areas such as voids or under floor boards.

Watch Commander Richard Ryan said: “The initial investigation shows that heat from an electrical lamp was the mostly likely cause of the blaze.”

Sign up to newsletter



Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.

Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

There are no comments for this article.

To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?