Monday 21 September 2020
Select a region

Two escape Beaumont bathroom blaze

Two escape Beaumont bathroom blaze

Wednesday 02 January 2019

Two escape Beaumont bathroom blaze


Two islanders had a lucky escape as fire tore through the bathroom and roof of their St. Peter home this morning, believed to be caused by electrical problems.

Fire and Rescue Service officials rushed to the Old Beaumont Hill property after receiving a call at 08:24 this morning, arriving to smoke rising from the roof tiles and popping noises coming from inside.

Two firefighters wearing breathing equipment entered with a hose jet, extinguishing the main fire in the first floor bathroom, which had extended into the roof space above.

Two more teams of firefighters were then sent in to help cut away plasterboard and any other materials getting in the way of them fully extinguishing the fire.

In total, the operation lasted four-and-a-half hours, including cutting back areas damaged by the fire and damping down.

Fire officials described the upper floors as "extensively damaged" by fire and smoke that had travelled through the home in the aftermath of their efforts.

They said that initial investigations suggested that the blaze may have originated in the property's electrics.

Sign up to newsletter

 

Comments

Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.

Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

There are no comments for this article.

To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?