Monday 16 July 2018
Select a region

18 firefighters needed to tackle late night blaze

Saturday 12 August 2017

18 firefighters needed to tackle late night blaze

Four fire engines and 18 firefighters were needed late last night (Friday) to bring a major fire under control.

An emergency call was made to the service around 21:00 after smoke was spotted coming from an industrial property on West Hill, St Helier.

Initially two crews were sent, but, as the blaze took hold, it was soon apparent more support would be needed.

Eventually four engines and 18 firefighters were in attendance. Crews used breathing apparatus and five water jets to try and bring the blaze under control. The area had to be closed to traffic.


According to the Fire Service “the fire quickly took hold of the roof of the building and broke through spreading rapidly along the length of the building. Firefighters worked tremendously hard inside and outside the building to tackle the fire whilst also attempting to prevent the fire from spreading to a much larger adjoining building. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus were faced with extremely hot and humid conditions as they tried to tackle the fire inside the building and were continually forced back down the stairs by the extreme temperatures. The initial breathing apparatus crew, who took an enormous amount of heat trying to tackle the blaze, were given a precautionary health check by the supporting paramedics on scene and were both cleared to continue.”

Station Commander Marc Le Cornu, who took over as Incident Commander, said “I am extremely proud of my crews as their hard work and efforts undoubtedly saved a couple of adjoining buildings and businesses from also being destroyed by this fire. The fire has had a devastating effect on the company who own the business as the building has suffered severe fire damage.”

The fire was brought under control after a couple of hours and contained to the single building where it started. Damage has been extensive, but there are no reports of anyone being injured. Nearby roads were re-opened early this morning. The Fire Service are continuing their investigations into the cause of the blaze.


Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

There are no comments for this article.

To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?