Monday 06 December 2021
Select a region
News

Marina to be partly drained as £3.5m refurb gets underway

Marina to be partly drained as £3.5m refurb gets underway

Tuesday 17 August 2021

Marina to be partly drained as £3.5m refurb gets underway


St. Helier Marina will be partially drained and its boats relocated next month as it undergoes a £3.5m refurbishment - its first in 30 years.

The works, which are due to be completed in May 2022, will see all the guide piles and pontoons replaced, with vessels temporarily moved to other berths, moorings or storage ashore.

Ports of Jersey is investing up to £3.5m into the project, which marks the first refurbishment for the marina since it first opened in 1981, although minor improvements have been done over the years and the tidal gate replaced in 2017.

As part of the “major works”, the guide piles and pontoons will be removed and replaced with the current layout being maintained.

stheliermarina.jpg

Pictured: The lay out of the marina will be maintained.

Ports of Jersey said the elements had now reached the end of their “serviceable life”, and that they could erode more if they are not replaced, posing safety issues for the vessels moored there.

“We have consulted and engaged extensively with local boat owners, marine traders and yacht clubs who have helped us consider the options and design layouts,” the island’s Harbour Master Captain Bill Sadler, explained.

“We welcomed their feedback, and the final solution was that the existing layout of St. Helier was the preferred most ergonomic option and was overwhelmingly supported by them. It’s inevitable that with such a large project there will be some disruption and impact on our boat owners in this marina, but the overall benefits once completed we believe will far outweigh this temporary disruption.”

The work will be carried out by Channel Islands-based contractor, Geomarine, which is part of the Garenne Construction Company. It was appointed following a tender process in 2019.

The refurbishment was originally set to be carried out in 2020 but had to be postponed due to the pandemic.

The company has carried out a number of projects on behalf of Ports of Jersey in recent years, including the refurbishment of the Fishermen’s Pontoons at La Collette, and is currently working on the refurbishment work on the Albert Pier.

elizabeth_marina.jpg

Pictured: All guide piles and pontoons will be replaced.

During the work, pedestrian access along St. Helier Marina walkways will not be unaffected. However, for safety reasons, some areas of the New North Quay, which will be the location for the works compound will be closed off at times. Access to buildings along the New North Quay will still be permitted.

Ports of Jersey said there will also likely be reduced parking available for those who use the designated St. Helier Marina car parking along the New North Quay, as the Steam Clock area, St. Helier Marina car park and the small area near the skate park will be the main area used for the works’ compound.

“The need for significant investment in St. Helier Harbour has not changed, as already demonstrated by the work being carried out on the Elizabeth Marina Storm Gate and the current upgrade to the Albert Pier,” Ports' CEO Matt Thomas said.

“The much-needed refurbishment of St. Helier Marina is the next stage of our broader investment plans for the area and to support our valued marina community.”

St. Helier Marina currently provides 60% permanent moorings (202) with the remaining 40% allocated to visitor moorings, which comprises of some 500 metres of pontoon space.

The refurbishment of the Marina follows a £5m investment into the Albert Pier. As part of the works, the ‘ageing’ Albert Pier Terminal is being demolished while 24-hour access berthing pontoons are  being built along the pier.

20 berths for the use of local boat owners, marine traders and sea charter operations are also being created.

A 51m linkspan bridge, weighing 18.5 tonnes, was installed last week at the southern end of the new pontoons.

Installed by the team at Geomarine, it will be used in the future by the new berth owners to access the pontoons to get to their vessels.

Sign up to newsletter

 

Comments

Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.

Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

Posted by Scott Mills on
still won't be deep enough for all the 1k's superyachts, or is it? is this what it's for? lovely beaches
To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?