Monday 20 March 2023
Select a region

Bus fracas leads to £500 fine

Bus fracas leads to £500 fine

Wednesday 12 October 2016

Bus fracas leads to £500 fine

Wednesday 12 October 2016

A drunken man had to be held down by three police officers after refusing to leave a late night bus.

The Magistrate’s Court today heard Payton Guerrier, 37, admit three offences of being drunk and disorderly, resisting arrest and possession of a controlled drug, namely cocaine.

Guerrier was handed a £500 fine and a six months binding order after he admitted the charges, which happened on July 2nd at 23:30 after he refused to leave a No15 bus at St Aubin.

Centennier Amanda Wright said: “The bus driver set off from the stop but stopped again after 10 metres as there was a banging noise coming from the bus. He put his hazard lights on and the driver asked a passenger to leave the bus. 

“Police officers heard the driver tell the passenger to leave and the officers went to assist. The passenger initially refused to leave and was then ordered to leave and to get onto the street. It was pointed out to him that he was clearly drunk.

“An officer then arrested him for being drunk and disorderly. After he was arrested he started to resist violently and a scuffle ensued. A handcuff was put on his right hand and the defendant told them he did not know why he was being arrested.    

“In this scuffle the officers and defendant moved towards a wall and hit a car and eventually he was brought to the floor where another officer placed leg restraints on him. 

“Police searched his wallet and it was found to contain a small amount of cocaine worth around £8 and weighing 115mg.”

Defending Advocate Giles Emmanuel said Guerrier had pleaded guilty to all three charges at the earliest opportunity. 

He said: “He was being vocal as he felt the resisting officers were being too heavy-handed. 

“He accepts his behaviour was unreasonable but he did not like being subjugated physically by three officers. He suffered an injury to his ribs which kept him off work for six weeks and suffered injuries to his hands, swelling and cuts. He continues to suffer from these injuries. This in no way excuses his behaviour but goes some way towards explaining it. 

“He does not recall obtaining the drugs and the amount was small, around £8 worth.”  

Assistant Magistrate Peter Harris, in fining Guerrier £500, said: “It is apparent this is not the first time you have been in court. Next time you are out socialising, please don’t drink so much that you acquire drugs, or put yourself into conflict with the police.”

Sign up to newsletter



Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.

Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

There are no comments for this article.

To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?