Tuesday 04 August 2020
Select a region

Gov Chief: Back door hires were ‘exceptions’

Gov Chief: Back door hires were ‘exceptions’

Thursday 16 April 2020

Gov Chief: Back door hires were ‘exceptions’


The Government’s Chief Executive has declined to comment on whether instances of ‘back door’ recruitment at the most senior ranks of the civil service happened with or without his knowledge.

Grilled at a press conference yesterday, Charlie Parker instead defended the hires that failed to follow established protocol for avoiding conflicts of interest as “exceptions”.

His comments came after the Jersey Appointments Commission (JAC) this week expressed concerns that corners had been cut in processes designed ensure the government’s most highly paid staff are recruited fairly, and that some departments had not committed to spot checks and audits. 

In a critical report, they further explained that the States Employment Board (SEB) – a panel of politicians tasked with reviewing public sector recruitment – had not been made aware of all the appointments they should have scrutinised.

Video: Mr Parker responds to Express's questions about the JAC report around 55 minutes into the press conference.

The report explained that the processes appeared to have not been followed for reasons of “expediency”.

As decisions – including appointments – are having to be made within short time scales due to the current health crisis, Express asked Mr Parker during a press conference on covid-19 operational matters whether he was aware of the hires that didn’t follow protocol and about the lessons that had been learnt.

Mr Parker did not answer whether the issues arose on his watch, stating that he didn’t think the question was “relevant for today”. 

However, he went on to say that, in his view, the JAC report had only highlighted “some exceptions”. 

contract lease signature

Pictured: The JAC's report said government departments had been using an "‘expediency’ back door route" rather than a robust recruitment process.

“…There is clearly some arrangements with which we have learnt one or two lessons from where some appointments didn’t potentially follow all procedures. 

“I have to say the States Employment Board are far more challenging about all of those sorts of appointments, he said. 

He went on to say that he was “pretty confident” that no more appointments would “pass through the net going forward”, before adding: “But I’m not in a position today to talk about the specifics.” 

The JAC's report came after Express uncovered a spate of recruitment in the Health Department last year involving highly-paid contracts being handed to ex-colleagues.

Express has asked for the Government Press Office to provide a full response to the JAC report and is awaiting a reply.

Sign up to newsletter

 

Comments

Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.

Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

Posted by Lesley Ricketts on
It would be fair to say that with the civil service completely in his power Mr Parker would most certainly have know about these appointments.
Posted by john garner on
After 10 "exceptions" it becomes the norm
To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?