Wednesday 29 November 2023
Select a region

Inquest: Motorcyclist's death a "tragic" accident

Inquest: Motorcyclist's death a

Tuesday 28 February 2017

Inquest: Motorcyclist's death a "tragic" accident

Tuesday 28 February 2017

The death of a teenage motorcyclist who was killed in a collision outside St Saviour’s Hospital was a “tragic” accident, an inquest has ruled.

“Bubbly” 19-year-old Nathan Vibert – a commis chef at Sumas restaurant – lost his life in January 2016 after colliding with a grey Land Rover at around 16:30 on La Route de la Hougue Bie.

In an inquest into his death held yesterday, Coroner Advocate Cyril Whelan, heard that Mr Vibert had been travelling on what was described by his father as his “normal route” to work – heading past St Saviour's Hospital towards Hougue Bie.

A number 13 bus was heading in the same direction, but had stopped to collect an elderly passenger, and so was stationary outside the Hospital.

As Mr Vibert approached the rear of the bus, a grey Land Rover Freelander appeared next to it, heading in the opposite direction.

This formed what was described by PC Meikle, a road traffic accident expert who later compiled a 40-page report into the incident, as a, “…blockade in the road that would have been all but impassable” for Mr Vibert.

The inquest heard that Mr Vibert braked, but was thrown foward into the car. 

Multiple members of the public came to his aid – including a doctor who happened to be passing by, and a nurse who lived nearby – and started CPR, before paramedics arrived on the scene.

But attempts were unsuccessful, as Mr Vibert had already sustained multiple internal injuries, with the inquest hearing that his death was likely to be, “…very quick, if not instantaneous,” upon impact.

According to Home Office Pathologist Dr Amanda Jeffery, there was, “…virtually nothing that any of the paramedics or bystanders would have been able to do to save him.”

The pathology report showed that there were no intoxicants present in Mr Vibert’s system.

route de la hoagie bie

PC Meikle’s accident report, which was subject to a peer review, found that Mr Vibert’s speed would have been in the region of 33 miles per hour, “…certainly less than 40,” which was the speed limit. 

PC Meikle's report added that the mere presence of the parked bus, “…would not automatically warrant emergency braking”, but that the addition of the oncoming Land Rover, “…would have surprised most motorists."

The inquest heard that the heaviness of Mr Vibert’s motorcycle – a black 900cc Harley Davidson – may have also, “…affected his maneuverability.”

Despite this, his girlfriend described him in a statement as “comfortable and confident” on it.

“Motorcycles were his thing, his hobby”, which, “…meant a lot to him” she said, adding that the Harley Davidson was his “dream bike."

She went on to describe his “happy-go-lucky and very chilled” personality – comments echoed by Mr Vibert’s father, who added that he was a, “bubbly guy” with “a smile on his face all the time.”

“He was always having a laugh, …and he’ll be sadly missed by all of us.”

Advocate Whelan concluded that Mr Vibert’s death was caused by the multiple injuries he sustained after he “lost control of a motorbike… and collided with a passing vehicle headed in the opposite direction.”

In his closing words, he described the incident as “a tragic loss” and offered the inquest’s condolences to Mr Vibert’s family and friends.

Sign up to newsletter



Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.

Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?