Sunday 25 February 2024
Select a region
News

Clinton Pringle: Officials stall on releasing road expert's report

Clinton Pringle: Officials stall on releasing road expert's report

Tuesday 26 June 2018

Clinton Pringle: Officials stall on releasing road expert's report

Tuesday 26 June 2018


Senior States officials have delayed the release of an engineer's report focussing on the design and layout of a road where a toddler was killed after being struck by a van.

The report was commissioned by Police after three-year-old Clinton Pringle, who was on holiday from Scotland with his family, died after being hit by a van in June 2016 – two years ago this week.

The collision occurred in Tunnell Street, a controversial ‘shared space’ area next to Millennium Park featuring a pavement without a kerb, no road markings and little signage.

While the van driver, Rebekah Le Gal, was sentenced for careless driving in relation to the death, many – including a forensic collision investigator– believed the road’s design to be one of the main reasons why the accident occurred.

Tribute to Clinton Pringle from his parents

Pictured: A tribute left at the scene of Clinton's death by his parents.

Extracts of the Police-commissioned safety audit read out during Le Gal’s Royal Court trial contained strong criticism of the layout. In it, UK engineer and road expert Alexandra Luck stated that faults would have been detected in the road had a safety audit been carried out just after its construction.

She added that, in all the time she spent in the area, she didn’t observe see “a single driver modify their driving”as the ‘Give Way’ sign was not “obvious” enough to drivers and could easily be missed.

The full report was not made public at the time of the trial, but States and Police officials said that it would be published following the conclusion of all judicial proceedings and the inquest into Clinton Pringle’s death.  

More than six months later, however, the full safety audit is still yet to be disclosed – despite numerous requests from Express.

In response to the most recent request, which was made using the Freedom of Information (FOI) Law in May, States officials said that managers within the department holding the report needed more time to “research” the potential consequences of releasing the report. It remains unclear what is meant by this, and whether it involves legal advice. 

road lay-out at scene of Clinton Pringle's death

Pictured: Tunnell Street was a 'shared space', featuring a design that does not clearly distinguish between road and pavement.

“Following a meeting of their Senior Management Team the department dealing with your request have determined that they now need to examine if there are any further implications of releasing the Alexandra Luck report,” they said.

If published, the report could provide yet more ammo for road safety campaigners who believe the design was never fit for purpose. 

In September last year, Express revealed that Le Gal may never have been able to access Tunnell Street had recommendations in a safety audit conducted by international experts five years before Clinton Pringle’s accident been implemented.

The Parish of St. Helier has since moved to make the area safer following the youngster’s tragic death.

At the inquest in November, they unveiled plans to install a zebra crossing, increased signage and speed bumps, as well as announcing their intentions to cut back hedges to increase visibility.

Clinton Pringle road crossing feb 2018

Pictured: The new zebra crossing on Tunnell Street.

Nonetheless, Clinton's parents, Michael and Stacey, told Express that this had "come too late" for their son.

In January, a new crossing was marked out at the spot where Clinton was killed.

Sign up to newsletter

 

Comments

Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.

Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

Posted by Talkto Yourself on
Disgusting. More people are going to get KILLED because of these ridiculous "shared spaces". The worst is St Aubin by the Tenby - plus the turning from the Esplanade to the Hospital / Car Park spring to mind.
Posted by William Boyd on
This whole scandal has been handled appallingly from the start. From the misguided 'shared space' concept - entirely brought about by anti car bias - to the inappropriate sentence, to the avoidance of anyone accepting responsibility, to the stubbornness of those who refuse point black to redesign this so we get back to properly designated roads and pavements, to the refusal to release the report. I am ashamed at the way our tax funded authorities, both parish and States, have handled this. Do we live in a Soviet state which believes it do no wrong even if the evidence to the contrary is staring them in the face? Appalling is the only word to describe this farce.
Posted by nigel pearce on
Mr. Boyd is completely correct. Those who are pushing these ridiculous shared spaces will not admit they are wrong, probably in case they are made to answer awkward questions and take responsibility.
Apart from the two Mr. Boyd mentioned, the folly outside St. Mary's Country Inn needs removing before a motorcyclist suffers a fall (or worse) due to the adverse camber which is dangerous in wet weather and in the event of an oil spill.
Posted by Diana Groom on
"The full report was not made public at the time of the trial, but States and Police officials said that it would be published following the conclusion of all judicial proceedings and the inquest into Clinton Pringle’s death.
More than six months later, however, the full safety audit is still yet to be disclosed – despite numerous requests from Express."

Of course the report wasn't and still hasn't been made public because the findings would allow Mr + Mrs Pringle to sue the heck out of the SoJ.
Posted by Nicol Slim on
Absolutely disgusting! Remind us not to visit Jersey to be treated like second class citizens when their lack of consideration for human safety causes fatal tragedies. It has been 2 years since the incident and yet they still can't pull their fingers out and out paint the double yellow lines to make it clear to both drivers and pedestrians where the road and pavement lie
To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?