A teaching union has rejected a one-off payment in return for ending the ongoing pay dispute with Government.
Vice Chair of the States Employment Board Andy Jehan confirmed this evening that the NASUWT would be continuing with action short of strike action next week.
The industrial action was paused this week while the NASUWT engaged in talks with the SEB, which is the official employer of all public sector workers.
Constable Jehan said that the SEB's latest offer of a one-off payment – which Express understands to be £1,000 – in return for an agreement for 20 days' notice for any future proposed industrial action had been rejected by the union.
The action short of strike action will see members withdrawing from almost all activities outside the normal timetable for lessons. NASUWT members have been instructed not to attend meetings or briefings at either end of the core school day, except where arrangements for time off in lieu has been confirmed in advance.
The action will also include not taking part in parents' evenings, as well as supervision duties or school trips taking place outside normal attendance times.
"I am disappointed to say that we have just received confirmation that the planned escalation of action short of strike action on Monday by the NASUWT will proceed," he commented.
"To resolve the 2023 dispute and to ensure the wellbeing and safeguarding of our children and young people the SEB offered a one-off payment to teachers in return for an essential service agreement that would provide 20 days' notice for any future proposed industrial action. The agreement was proposed to protect and safeguard the most vulnerable children and young people. Disappointingly, the offer was rejected."
Pictured: Constable Jehan said he was "disappointed" about NASUWT's actions.
Education Minister Inna Gardiner, added: "Like many parents and pupils I am disappointed that NASUWT have made the decision to continue with the planned escalation of their action short of a strike. In taking this action, NASUWT are causing harm to parents, children, and teachers.
"Throughout this process, I have been keen to see all sides reach a compromise, and retain a productive relationship: this includes offering to meet with NASUWT myself over the last two weeks. It is frustrating that this decision comes after significant progress on a range of issues that teachers have identified, including changes to terms and conditions, and establishing a multi-year pay deal.
"I will be honest with parents and Islanders: while we will work closely with headteachers to mitigate some of the effects of this action, pupils will be affected. Individual schools will contact parents directly with further details."
The teaching unions have been seeking a higher pay increase than the 7.9% accepted by other public sector unions, criticising the proposed rise as below the rate of inflation and continuing a series of pay cuts in real terms.
While the NASUWT first started action short of strike action in late June, the other main union, the NEU, has staged several days of strike action.
The NEU confirmed that three days of action scheduled for November would be postponed as a gesture of goodwill following the disruption caused by Storm Ciarán at the start of this month, but that further strikes were anticipated in December.
Those strikes are scheduled to go ahead on 12, 13 and 14 December.
Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.
Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.