Monday 18 January 2021
Select a region

Two more school covid cases

Two more school covid cases

Thursday 26 November 2020

Two more school covid cases


Two more schools have had to send large groups of pupils home, following confirmed cases of covid-19.

In what has become a regular feature of school life this term, JCG has now sent home all its year 13 students, following a case in that group, and they will now be tested for the virus.

If they are not considered to be a 'direct contact' of the case, and receive a negative test result, they'll be allowed back to school on Monday. 

This morning the Department for Children, Young People, Education and Skills also confirmed that a student at St. Michael’s School has tested positive for covid-19.

They said that parents have been informed and the students and siblings (following St. Michael's own school policy) who were in the "double year group bubble" have been asked to remain at home until the Contact Tracing process has been completed. 

Education Minister Senator Tracey Vallois said: “I would like to thank students, parents and school staff for their patience and understanding during these difficult times. 

We are aware that the increase in Covid-19 cases has been a challenging time across many secondary schools. I also recognise the particular challenges experienced by students and families who have to isolate.

“The Department for Children, Young People Education and Skills continues to meet regularly with school leaders, unions and representatives from Contact Tracing will also be briefing headteachers directly this week. This is to discuss ways in which schools further develop their strategies of year group bubbles as well as the guidance to parents and students about isolation and testing.  

“My Department is constantly reviewing their health and safety frameworks and looking to improve the systems around track and tracing in schools. I would like to reassure students and parents or carers that all the measures put in place, are based on medical advice, to guarantee the highest form of safety for our school community.”

Earlier this week, the Education and Health Ministers defended the decision to ask nearly 200 Victoria College students to isolate after a single sixth former tested positive for covid-19, saying it was a result of Year 12 and 13 sharing the same social space.

A second positive case of the virus was identified among the students over the weekend, following a confirmed case in the year 12 group last Wednesday.

Around 200 Victoria College students were sent home after the first case was identified.

Current local case numbers stand at 149, based on the latest figures published yesterday.

 

Sign up to newsletter

 

Comments

Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.

Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

There are no comments for this article.

To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?