Monday 20 March 2023
Select a region

Wheelie bin fire spreads to St Brelade house

Wheelie bin fire spreads to St Brelade house

Sunday 14 August 2016

Wheelie bin fire spreads to St Brelade house

Sunday 14 August 2016

A home owner in St Brelade telephoned the fire service today after smoke began to fill the property, accompanied by several loud bangs.

Two fire engines with nine firefighters rushed to the incident at 15:30 and the occupant was advised to leave the property.

It was quickly discovered that the fire had been caused by hot coals being discarded into the wheelie bins. 

A neighbour from a nearby property had attempted to extinguish the blaze using buckets water.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus quickly extinguished the blaze with a high pressure hose reel and thermal image cameras were used to check and confirm the fire had not spread to the inside of the building.

Fire damage was contained to the exterior of the building area although there was some light smoke damage on the ground floor.

Watch Commander Richard Ryan said “The fact is that coals and ashes from fires can remain hot enough to start a fire for long after you think the fire is out.

“When it is time to dispose of the ashes, transfer them to a metal container and wet them down and keep the metal container outside your home and away from any combustibles.”

Sign up to newsletter



Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.

Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

There are no comments for this article.

To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?