Guernsey Police have apologised to Darren Salituri’s family over their handling of his death while he was in custody at Les Nicolles.

Chief Officer Damian Kitchen has today confirmed that staff from the Criminal Investigation Department have been liaising with Mr Salituri’s family including holding a meeting on Friday where his family met with the police Professional Standards Team.

This meeting came days after Mr Salituri’s death at Les Nicolles Prison, where he was being held on remand having been accused of a sexual offence.

Mr Salituri’s mother told the Guernsey Press that a prison chaplain called her to tell her that her son had died, after the news had already leaked out of the prison and was being shared on social media.

She also told the newspaper that a police officer who later visited her at home gave her an incorrect version of events, leaving her with a distressing image of how her son had died.

Pictured: Darren Salituri (TikTok).

Chief Officer Kitchen has today confirmed that Mr Salituri’s family “had raised concerns about the initial communication in the immediate wake of this incident”.

“In hindsight, it is clear that our first communication with the family didn’t give them the level of support they deserved, the most accurate information at the time, nor meet our own high standards, and for that, we have apologised to them and are committed to doing better,” Chief Officer Kitchen said.

“I am truly sorry that we didn’t provide the best initial service and will ensure that either I or a member of the senior team at Guernsey Police affords the family an opportunity for a personal meeting to reiterate this apology. Immediate actions were taken to address their concerns, and this has been discussed with them.

“This is a tragic incident, and the family deserve privacy and support at this very difficult time.”

Pictured: Les Nicolles Prison.

Some hours after Mr Salituri’s death, and after the news had already leaked out of the prison and was being shared on social media, a statement was issued to Guernsey’s media outlets.

In that statement, Prison Governor John de Carteret confirmed that Mr Salituri had been found deceased in his cell by prison officers on Monday 2 February.

“The prison has notified Guernsey Police, who are now investigating the circumstances of the death, and the Guernsey Prison Service is also now undertaking its own internal investigation,” said Mr de Carteret.

“Firstly it is important to state that any death in prison is a tragedy, and we will now work closely with the police to establish the full circumstances of the incident. This death will undoubtedly have an impact on many, not least his family. My thoughts are with them at this time.”

Also speaking in the immediate aftermath of Mr Salituri’s death, Guernsey Police Detective Chief Inspector Ian Tanner said investigations were underway to determine what happened.

“Guernsey Police attended Guernsey Prison this morning, responding to reports of a deceased prisoner,” he confirmed.

“The death is not currently being treated as suspicious, and we are undertaking a coronial investigation in line with standard practice.”

Pictured: Guernsey Police headquarters.

Chief Officer Kitchen has now confirmed that those enquiries are ongoing.

He also urged people to be careful what they share on social media.

“I must remind everybody this is an ongoing, live investigation, which the Police are approaching thoroughly and with an open mind, to gather all the information required for His Majesty’s Procurer.

“I’d also like to take this opportunity to remind the community of the impact media headlines and social media commentary can have on everybody involved and affected at difficult times like this – and would urge caution when viewing or generating AI material, for example the creation of images related to the deceased.”