Infrastructure Minister Andy Jehan reiterated in this morning’s States sitting that it remains illegal to use e-scooters anywhere other than private land with the landowner’s permission.

Earlier this week two young e-scooter riders – a 12-year-old boy and a 26-year-old man – ended up in hospital following separate collisions within 48 hours of each other.

The younger of the two was flown to Southampton for treatment of a “significant” head injury. He remains in hospital in a stable condition.

e_scooter_collision.jpeg
Pictured: A 12-year-old boy was injured after an e-scooter collided with a car on St Aubin’s Inner Road on Saturday.

Deputy Tom Coles asked the Infrastructure Minister whether there had been progress on the Road Traffic Law and how e-scooters fit into that legislation.

In response, Constable Jehan began by wishing both injured islanders a “full and speedy recovery”.

He added: “We’ve received correspondence from interested parties. Some want us to regulate them, some want us to police the ban on them.

“I have spoken to a number of Ministers, and we’re going to place this on a near-future Council of Ministers meeting agenda where we can have a full discussion.”

Callum_OConnor_outside_police_HQ.jpg
Pictured: Inspector Callum O’Connor yesterday reminded islanders that e-scooters cannot legally be used in public.

Jersey’s roads policing lead – Inspector Callum O’Connor – yesterday reminded islanders that the use of e-scooters on public roads, pavements and in other public spaces is illegal.

He said: “These devices can reach significant speeds, and without proper infrastructure and regulation, their use poses a significant risk.”

Insp O’Connor also said the force was “working closely” with colleagues in the Government’s Infrastructure Department to work out how e-scooters “might be safely integrated into Jersey’s transport system”.