The Bailiff has set up a special fund to support people affected by the tragic events in Jersey over the last week.
Lasting until 23 December, the appeal will help islanders affected by the Pier Road explosion this weekend, as well as the loved ones of the fishers lost when their trawler collided with a Condor freight ship last week.
The search for survivors at the site of the Pier Road explosion which has claimed at least three lives has come to a close, and has now moved to a recovery operation.
More information about the Bailiff's Fund will be released soon.
The Bailiff, Sir Timothy Le Cocq, was among islanders who attended the Town Hall to offer support to islanders who left their homes in Pier Road in the wake of the explosion.
He also attended the candlelight vigil at the Town Church last night, which he described as an "opportunity to hold in our thoughts the families and first responders who have taken part in or been affected by this incident."
Pictured: The Bailiff arriving at the Town Hall yesterday, and supplies being carried in.
Among the first to donate to that fund on behalf of those affected by the Pier Road tragedy will be Richard Davy, who set up a JustGiving page on Saturday night and has since raised close to £800.
Ahead of the Bailiff's appeal being confirmed, Richard said: "I started the page up with a view to helping anyone who has been affected by the incident. Various clothing items have been donated, and other household items as well. That said, and with those areas covered, I just wanted to make sure that no one is 'financially affected'.
"I made an unofficial enquiry about the Balliff's stance on the situation, and I was advised that a fund is most probably going to be set up, with donations via a local bank. If that goes ahead, I shall 'divert' all the funds raised to that account, therefore allowing the Bailiff's office to distribute the funds correctly and to those at most need."
As well as helping those affected by yesterday's explosion, the Bailiff's island appeal will also support the families impacted by the maritime tragedy earlier this week.
Fisherman Michael Michieli was one of three on board L’Ecume II as it collided with the 126m Commodore Goodwill en route from Guernsey on Thursday morning. His two crew, both from the Philippines, were named yesterday as Larry Simyunn and Jervis Baligat.
Extensive searches involving Jersey, Guernsey and French air and sea rescue authorities, as well as the wider fishing community, took place throughout Thursday and Friday but were eventually called off.
Follow Express for updates...
Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.
Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.
There are no comments for this article.