Sunday 25 February 2024
Select a region
News

Developer puzzled by Planning decision over decades-old car park

Developer puzzled by Planning decision over decades-old car park

Wednesday 08 December 2021

Developer puzzled by Planning decision over decades-old car park

Wednesday 08 December 2021


A developer says he is struggling to understand why an application to "formalise" the use of a 40-year-old car park at Havre des Pas was thrown out by the Planning Committee over concerns about traffic and air pollution.

The site was previously home to a coach station which burned down in the 1980s.

For 35 years after that, it was used as a hire car business depot without planning permission, before becoming a car park.

This year, Brigham Young applied for planning permission to change the use of part of the site so it could be used as ‘private parking’ to provide 38 spaces for nearby residents. Three other parking spaces were also included for the use of a nearby hire car business

The application also included a retrospective application for 14 car ports, with galvanised corrugated steel roofs and timber posts, which had been built over the last 18 months.

12 letters were sent to the Planning Department in support of the plans, and no objections were received. 

Pictured: The site was accessible from Havre des Pas.

Despite the site's history, the Planning Officer responsible for the application, Jonathan Gladwin, recommended it be refused as it would go against planning policies that aim to reduce the dependence on cars and prevent “unacceptable increase” in car traffic, air pollution or parking on the public highway.

The Infrastructure, Housing and Environment Department also opposed the plans, arguing they would lead to “unacceptable problems of traffic generation” whilst cars manoeuvring out of the car park onto the road at Havre des Pas would be “a source of casualties creating an accident cluster site”.

Paul Scally, Mr Young's solicitor, told the Planning Committee that, while the Planning Department referred to the plans as a “change of use”, the site had been used as a car park “in some form or another for some time and that the period of eight years for enforcement had passed."

“You can’t have a situation where a private individual is stopped from doing anything with a site,” he said, arguing that since there was “no other suitable use for this site”, the Planning Department had to approve the plans.  

“You can’t leave individuals in a hiatus where they can’t move forward,” he added.

He acknowledged that the car ports had been put in more recently but said that, even in their absence, the site would still be a car park. “Whether you are parking coaches, hire car or cars, it’s parking,” he said.

HDP_car_park.jpg

Pictured: Developer Brigham Young said he was still considering whether to appeal or not.

Sean Osmand, who acted as an agent for Mr Young, said he was seeking to formalise the use of the car park which had existed for more than 40 years, rather than creating a new car park, as suggested by the department.

He added that, when the hire car company was still in operation, spaces were rented out to residents and large commercial vehicles that couldn’t go in Government-owned car parks during the winter.

He also rejected the view that the proposed plans would “stifle development opportunities”, arguing that the site would not be suitable for a housing development.

After the decision was deferred at the Planning Committee meeting on 21 October, the plans were again on the agenda on 18 November. 

A resident from Dicq Road voiced her support for the plans during the meeting saying that she had been having issues in finding car park in the area for the past 19 years. 

Three of the Planning Committee members eventually chose to reject the plans, with the Constable of St. Lawrence, Deidre Mezbourian, saying they “flew in the face of policies”, whilst the Constable of Trinity said they offered “no positive contribution to the land”.

Meanwhile, St. Clement Constable Marcus Troy said he was aware that parking was a “nightmare” in the area, which he said was also the case when he worked in teh area 25 years ago. 

He supported the plans, saying it would take some cars off the road and remove the need for residents “to circulate around Havre des Pas to find a space”.

Speaking to Express yesterday, Mr Young said he really struggled to understand the committee’s decision.

“It’s always been parking, there’s been a mixture of garage, parking and hire car since the 1950s, but it’s never really had a planning history,” he said. “There is such a demand for parking in Havre des Pas. It’s very disappointing. It makes you wonder, are they actually acting on the best interest of the public? I don’t think so.”

Mr Young said he was considering his next steps and still had 14 days to decide whether to appeal the decision or not.

“I just do not think they like car parks in town, but this is in the outskirts,” he said. “I understand they don’t want to encourage the creation of new car parks but this is an existing car park.”

Sign up to newsletter

 

Comments

Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.

Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

Posted by on
What's to be baffled about!

They hate car drivers with a passion, instead of helping people park they just keep throwing bricks in the way.

This is another St Mary fiasco all over again with millions of taxpayer's money squandered. Lewis faces an election this year let's see what he has to say at the parish hall about this.
Posted by John Smith on
Bonkers. The Planning Department, or whatever they are called this week, appear to be in disarray.
Posted by Jon Jon on
Quite a number of us can’t fathom out the planning department let alone the planning panel.They always bring up “it goes against planning policies “ yet they forget these policies for certain applications.A neighbouring site of ours,policies were dropped to allow it,this department is so inconsistent,maybe Jersey way of who you know!
Posted by E Trott on
Classic case of developer pressing ahead without permission in the belief that planning will cave in and hand out retrospective planning
Posted by Jean Lelliott on
What a ridiculous decision. Residents in this area have to park miles away from where they live. This is ludicrous.

What happened to the inquiry into irregularities in the planning department? That’s gone off radar again hasn’t it?
Posted by Ali C on
As a resident of Havre des pas I am disappointed at this outcome. I hoped to purchase one of the parking spaces and this would have allowed me to change to an electric car. I have been looking for a parking space or garage to purchase in the area for many years. I don’t see why we should be penalised and deterred from car ownership. I have an electric bike and a bus pass both of which I use regularly and the car remains on my rented space for week or more. This is a missed opportunity for a residents parking scheme which could have helped reduce our reliance on the petrol/Diesel engine.
To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?