The residents of a three-storey block of flats have been praised for their speedy evacuation after a fire broke out in a third-floor flat last night - leaving the property with "severe" fire and smoke damage.
The blaze broke out at the St. Helier property shortly after 23:00.
Jersey Fire and Rescue reported: "On arrival crews were met by the buildings occupants who had evacuated the three-storey block and upon entering the premises, crews were met by thick black smoke exiting the top floor flat.
"Crews wearing breathing apparatus quickly extinguished the fire and the occupiers were intially treated on scene by Fire Service personnel prior to the arrival of paramedics."
It's not believed that the cause of the fire was "suspicious", the team added, before praising the occupants of the building "for a speedy and efficient evacuation prior to our arrival."
It was the second fire the crews had faced that day - earlier, they'd tackled a fire within a bedroom at a property on Trinity Hill.
Two fire engines carrying eight crew were sent to the area, and found smoke streaming from an upstairs bedroom above a garage. When they went in for a closer look - while wearing breathing equipment - they found a "cupboard well alight".
"The fire was quickly brought under control and the room was swiftly ventilated," Jersey Fire and Rescue said. The property owner was praised for their "swift actions" in getting out and calling 999.
Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.
Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.
There are no comments for this article.