Friday 22 January 2021
Select a region

WATCH: Skydivers kickstart successful Siam Cup for Jersey

WATCH: Skydivers kickstart successful Siam Cup for Jersey

Monday 13 May 2019

WATCH: Skydivers kickstart successful Siam Cup for Jersey

Skydivers dramatically dropping balls onto the stadium below in a rush of smoke kickstarted what was a successful Siam Cup for Jersey. Express has the full match report.

There were four games in total this weekend taking place at the Stade Santander International.

The Wanderers started the day off with a win in the Nash Cup - their first in a number of years (Jersey 24-15 Guernsey). 

Video: Rugby balls were delivered by three skydivers at the Siam Cup match.

The women’s game followed, with a hard-fought contest that saw Guernsey retain their title (Jersey 5-22 Guernsey).

Fallaize Cup was next: Jersey Red Athletic vs Guernsey’s 2nds.

There was a fast start to the game. It was defined after 15minutes, with Jersey’s captain George Thomas red carded, leaving the home players to play the rest of the game with 14 men. Nonetheless, Jersey still lead at half-time 10-3.  

What followed was a frantic second half, with gaps opening up for both teams.

However, Jersey held the green wave - even with a late try - at bay to win (Jersey 20-17 Guernsey).

Then came the main event: the Siam Cup.

The ball being parachuted into Stade Santander added to the spectacle and anticipation of the game.

Kick-off was frantic, as both teams battled to find an opening. Hard hits, quick hands and nerves were evident on both sides, bringing some ever-so-close moments for both teams.

20 minutes in and there was still no score, while the wind played its part in the kicking game as Jersey fought to take advantage, pinning Guernsey back. But the Raiders equalled it with some wonderful clearances from their own 22.

Then, against the run of play, the Raiders scored the first points of the match with the conversion then missed (Jersey 0-5 Guernsey).

Jersey then showed a touch of class from 10: Aaron Penberthy. A wonderfully weighted cross field kick high was plucked out of the air by replacement Simon Johnson. High first touch of the game, expertly taken and scored in the corner (Jersey 7-5 Guernsey).

Jersey then built momentum and the seized the game by the scruff the neck. They started working the ball well in midfield, with slick work in the centre by Eastwell and Ma’afu punishing Guernsey creating holes in the defence.

Unexpectedly, a breakthrough came from the Captain, Nick Selway, playing his last game for Jersey. With some nice footwork, he offloaded to a charging George Willmott, who found scrum half Liam Rhoads for the score (Jersey 14-5 Guernsey).

Half-time and Jersey lead (Jersey 17-5 Guernsey). Second half means a change in wind direction.

The visitors come out stronger for the second half, scoring early to put some nerves into the home crowd. The next 30 minutes ahead are tense (Jersey 17-12 Guernsey).

With 20 minutes to go, Jersey came out on top after some back and forth from both teams. Jersey steal passion and some fast-thinking leads to Ma’afu slicing straight through the Guernsey line to score to a huge roar from the home crowd. The exhale in the ground is palpable. It feels decisive (Jersey 24-12 Guernsey).

All this is short lived, however, with Aaron Penberthy getting a yellow cardfor a high tackle, bringing the tension right back. The final 15 minutes felt like they were going to be tough for the home side, as the Raiders look to press their main advantage.

What transpired was a war of attrition between the Raiders’ attack and Reds’ defence. There was wave after wave of attack for the Raiders, each being held up over the line countless times. 

With the ref saying the ball was never grounded, the Raiders look despondent with the mirror of the Reds buoyed and jubilant from the huge defensive stand.  

This is where the game was won.

With 8 minutes of injury time to play, the supporters start celebrating early – something brought home by a fourth try in the dying minutes for the Reds (Jersey 29-12 Guernsey).

The noise is deafening as ‘JERSEY’ rings out across the Stade, with board banging. This isn’t even dampened by a late consolation try for the Raiders making the final score: Jersey 29-19 Guernsey.

This brought the end to wonderfully contested game of rugby, with both sides staking their claim for the win. 

The Reds just took their chances on the day, but the final score could have been very different. Handshakes all around before celebrations begin that will last long into the night.

After the whitewash last year, Jersey came back stronger, but Guernsey played their part and in the end, the crowd who experienced this fantastic show piece day, were the winners.

GALLERY: Snaps from the Siam Cup...

Sign up to newsletter



Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.

Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

There are no comments for this article.

To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?