10 Tips to Land your Dream Job
MEDIA RELEASE: The views expressed in this article are those of the author and not Bailiwick Express, and the text is reproduced exactly as supplied to us
Here are HR4HR’s Top 10 Tips for ensuring you give yourself the best chance to land the job of your dreams:
- Seen something you like, but not sure if you fit all the criteria? Don’t worry about that. You don’t need to tick every box to be the right candidate.
- Look closely at the job description. The same job titles can be used differently by businesses and their scope varies greatly depending on how big the team and company is.
- Look at the company’s ethos and what they offer their employees on top of salary and holiday.
- Do your research. Hopefully you’ve been actively looking at what opportunities are out there, but once you’ve identified a job that sounds right for you, ensure you do your research about who and what the company is.
- Is your social media presence fit? Search your own name and see what comes up. Do NOT think that potential employers won’t be checking out your social media accounts, because most will. Ensure your Linked In profile is up to date. Have you included volunteering roles?
- If you’re successful in getting an interview, start preparing in plenty of time so you feel comfortable and confident on the day.
- To prepare for the interview, look through the job description and think of the kind of questions they might ask you about. In particular, competencies relating to the specific skills they’re asking for.
- Think of some questions that you can ask them, but make sure they’re valuable and relevant to the role. Most interviewers will ask you at the end if you have any questions so it’s good to have at least one good one to hit them with.
- Stay positive. Don’t talk negatively about past colleagues and managers as that reflects on you and can make potential employers nervous that the issue might be with you, rather than your current/past employer.
- After the interview, follow up with a thank you note. Hopefully you’ll be successful, but if you’re not then don’t be despondent. You and the job role were just not the right fit, but the next one you apply for might be perfect for you.
HR4HR is Jersey’s ONLY specialist recruitment agency for HR personnel. We have a variety of opportunities available now, so if you’re ready for your next move, email Geraldine on: email@example.com or call her on: 07700809136, for a confidential discussion. www.hr4hr.je