Thursday 02 February 2023
Select a region

Guernseyman gets caught stealing boat after getting stranded

Guernseyman gets caught stealing boat after getting stranded

Tuesday 14 June 2022

Guernseyman gets caught stealing boat after getting stranded

Tuesday 14 June 2022

A Guernseyman with a lengthy criminal record ended up being caught trying to take another man's boat without permission because he got stranded and needed to be rescued by the emergency services.

Kane Sarre took the 15ft fisher motor vessel, 'Joy Sea', without permission on 24 July 2021 and then called the emergency services after he and his passenger were left stranded outside the harbour when the boat had engine failure.

Sarre was towed to a pontoon where he made several attempts to resolve the issue, however had to call rescuers again to be returned to the Queen Elizabeth Marina. The vessels' owner was notified and advised that he had not given Sarre permission to take the boat.  

Sarre originally pleaded not guilty to the offence in Guernsey's Magistrate's Court, arguing that he had previously been given permission by the owner to take the vessel out, however later entered a guilty plea. 

Guernsey court

Pictured: Sarre appeared before the Magistate's Court last week.

Sarre’s advocate, Liam Roffey, acknowledged that Sarre had a lengthy criminal record with 30 previous offences, but noted that it had been six years since his last offence. 

Advocate Roffey said that Sarre had taken “great strides” in turning his life around, and that his changed behaviour coincided with the birth of his first child, now 5 years old. 

Advocate Roffey said that Sarre attended court knowing that he would be given a custodial sentence, but said that such a sentence would impact Sarre’s three children, for whom he is a joint-carer. 

Judge McKerrell said that Sarre was familiar to him. 

“When I was on the other side of this court room, your file coming across my desk would be a frequent occurrence. I was disappointed to see it again,” he said. 

“There is a level of trust in this island relating to how vessels are moored and left, and that must be respected. 

“This kind of crime is rare, and we need to keep it that way.” 


Pictured: Sarre called the Joint Emergency Services Control Centre when he became stranded offshore.

Judge McKerrell gave Sarre credit for his eventual guilty plea and recognised the account of Sarre’s personal circumstances. 

Sarre was sentenced to four months’ imprisonment, suspended for 18 months. 

Sign up to newsletter



Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.

Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?