Sunday 19 May 2024
Select a region
News

Teen in attempted murder trial says he gave victim phone for 999 call

Teen in attempted murder trial says he gave victim phone for 999 call

Tuesday 14 March 2023

Teen in attempted murder trial says he gave victim phone for 999 call

Tuesday 14 March 2023


A 19-year-old who denies attempting to murder a teenager who suffered more than 20 stab wounds has said he fetched the young victim's phone so he could call an ambulance.

Alex Diogo Franca De Jesus is standing trial in the Royal Court alongside two other teenagers, who cannot be named, who deny grave and criminal assault on the Le Geyt last January.

An 18-year-old man, Jayden Howard, has already admitted attempted murder and is not involved in the trial.

Mr De Jesus, giving evidence on the fourth day of the trial, admitted that he had punched the victim but said that it was only Howard who had wielded a knife.

The victim was stabbed more than 20 times in the back and had to be flown to Southampton Hospital to have part of a blade removed from his spine. He is said to have suffered "life-changing" injuries.

royalcourt.jpeg

Pictured: The case is being heard in the Royal Court.

Mr De Jesus said that he, Howard and the two unnamed teenagers met the victim at the bike sheds on Le Geyt estate in St. Saviour on the night of 9 January last year but had no intention of killing him.

He admitted that he owed the victim money for drugs and had taken a knife with him – but insisted it was for his own protection.

Mr De Jesus said he had punched the victim three times and added: "Jayden lunged at him at the same time."

The victim fell to the ground, Mr De Jesus said, adding: "He said, 'Stop, stop. I can't feel my legs'."

Mr De Jesus said that he had taken his own knife out of his pocket to protect himself and told the court that "as I was holding the knife Jayden just took it out of my hands".

Mr De Jesus added: "I didn't know what was happening. I believe it was because his knife had broken."

In August, Mr De Jesus pleaded guilty to the lesser charges of grave and criminal assault and possessing an offensive weapon. He told the court yesterday that he stood by those pleas.

The court also heard messages that Mr De Jesus had sent on the secure messaging app Telegram, in which he said: "It wasn't meant to get that bad, but someone went at him with a blade. I'm pretty sure the blade snapped in his back."

Mr De Jesus admitted that he had regularly bought cannabis from the victim and said when he was unable to pay a £1,500 drug debt the victim threatened to kill him, his family and his girlfriend.

The defendant said he had not reported the threats to the police because he hoped for a career as a police officer and the admission of cannabis use would disqualify him.

On Tuesday, one of the unnamed teens accused of grave and criminal assault gave evidence, telling the court that the attack "frightened" him, and that he "just froze".

The trial continues today.

More on the case...

Teen "left for dead" after drug debt stabbing attack, court told

Police officer recalls moment he found stab victim with blade in his back

Teen accused of stabbing claims victim made drug debt death threats

Sign up to newsletter

 

Comments

Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?