Saturday 16 October 2021
Select a region
News

GALLERY: All quiet on the Bellozanne front…

GALLERY: All quiet on the Bellozanne front…

Thursday 07 October 2021

GALLERY: All quiet on the Bellozanne front…


It's all quiet on the £75m Bellozanne upgrade front - there was no one to be found on site yesterday, and the Government is refusing to answer any further questions about the project after its main contractor collapsed.

UK firm NMCN fell into administration on Monday after months of loss warnings, and local contractors – who remain concerned that red flags may have been missed and that they stand to lose more than £200,000 between them – left the sewage treatment works site that day.

In a statement issued after Express broke the news of the subcontractors’ concerns, Infrastructure Minister Deputy Kevin Lewis said that the position of the firm had been "tracked for many months" and said that it was now assessing its legal position.

He added that the Government's "business in this project continues" and that it intended to continue working with local companies.

Bellozanne.jpg

CLICK TO ENLARGE: The site yesterday. (Gary Grimshaw)

But, since then, officials have refused to answer any further questions about why there are no longer any contractors on site, and what plans are in place to get work going again, and if and when it will be meeting local contractors to hear and address their concerns.

In a round of urgent questions in the States Assembly yesterday, the Chief Minister had few answers to offer.

He did not appear to be aware that contractors had stopped work on the project, but later suggested that the Government might be able to exercise 'step in' rights to work with existing contractors and enable the project to continue.

Industry news outlet Construction Index reported this week that it understood that the Bellozanne project was one of two "problem contracts" causing issues in NMCN's water arm before its collapse, noting that it was "quite ambitious" for a company of NMCN's size.

Bellozanne-9.jpg

Pictured: The empty NMCN site office. (Gary Grimshaw)

Questioned about this, Senator John Le Fondré said he was sure that appropriate "due diligence" would have been undertaken to ensure NMCN could fulfil the contract.

READ MORE…

 £75m Bellozanne project contractor collapses

Gov “assessing legal position” after £75m Bellozanne contractor fails

Chief Minister put under pressure over £75m Bellozanne contractor’s demise

GALLERY…

(Photographs courtesy of Gary Grimshaw)

Sign up to newsletter

 

Comments

Comments on this story express the views of the commentator only, not Bailiwick Publishing. We are unable to guarantee the accuracy of any of those comments.

Once your comment has been submitted, it won’t appear immediately. There is no need to submit it more than once. Comments are published at the discretion of Bailiwick Publishing, and will include your username.

Posted by Keith Marsh on
Yet again, this Government and its Senior Civil Servants have gone blindly forward, without decent investigation and control of public finances.
But will anyone get blamed and resign ? ~ doubtful, this is Jersey.
To place a comment please login

You have landed on the Bailiwick Express website, however it appears you are based in . Would you like to stay on the site, or visit the site?